Friday, 23 April 2010

Flashback Friday

This week, to remember upcoming mother's day, I scanned this picture out of my photo album - showing my mother and me during a knitting lesson.
It was in the late 70's, I am around 7 years old in the picture and if I remember correctly all I ever managed to knit were a few rows (is that what they are even called?). I came a bit further with crochet, learning to make simple coasters and egg cozies (little hats to keep boiled eggs warm during breakfast).

Besides knitting and crochet, my mother also taught me how to use a sewing machine when I wanted to personalize my clothes with patches and appliques. She later encouraged me to realy learn how to sew and join a sewing course, slowly learning enought to sew me a handbag or a skirt - though, unlike her, I never had enough patience to make me an entire pant suit, complicated blouse or even a summer dress. Not to mention all the everyday clothes and different carnival (sort of Halloween) costumes she sewed my brother and me over the years. And all that while having a full time job and two children to take care of.

Today I am myself a mother of two and I often wonder how my mother found all the time and energy for her many creative projects. But knowing that she did makes me want to pass on to my own children as many things as I can.


And Mom, thank you for never giving up on teaching me how to cook. I'm getting there now, it just took a few decades longer than expected...

Happy Mother's Day to all you ladies out there!


Want to play along? Link your own flashback over to Christopher and Tia's blog!

7 comments:

  1. Your so fortunate to have catched these moments on picture!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To pa ogreje srce! Dragoceni spomini na posebne trenutke...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great picture! How special to have those memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE, love, love this picture. I love that your mom showed you all of those things and I love that you have this picture to last forever and capture one of the moments she was passing on her craft!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a BEAUTIFUL picture. Everything about it. I look forward, so much, to your flashbacks. Your pictures just make me feel so happy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a very sweet photo. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a wonderful picture! How lucky to have such a great keepsake.

    ReplyDelete

Loddelina designs - since 2001

Related Posts with Thumbnails